As of March 2019, it’s possible for you to renew your Japanese visa online. This system is completely free and available for use 24 hours a day.
There are three types of visa applications that are accepted online:
- “Permission for Extension of Period of Stay” (在留期間更新許可) (Zairyū Kikan Kōshin Kyoka)” (in other words, a visa renewal)
- “Re-entry Permission” (再入国許可) (Sainyūkoku Kyoka) after temporarily leaving the country
- “Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted” (資格外活動許可) (Shikaku Gaikatsudō Kyoka)(for example, working a part-time job)
There are caveats though.
- You cannot do it yourself. You must request an attorney or representative from your organization to renew your Japanese visa online.
- Diplomats, short-term visitors, and those under the new Specified Skills visas are not eligible for online applications.
If you think your workplace is open to applying you apply online, they need to submit a request for use to the regional immigration services office.
If you think you have to stick to the analog way of renewing your Japanese visas, come back to this page because we’ll have an article walking you through the process soon. Alongside that are other “Life” content, such as Why Japanese People Wear Masks and Sexual Violence Resources aimed at making your life in Japan easier.